Thursday, December 3, 2009

Spilling Wine on Michelle Pfeiffer

Tonight I'll be doing close-up "mingling magic" for the staff at Warren Real Estate. Amazingly, the owner of the company has my name: James Warren! When we first moved to Ithaca three years ago I kept seeing signs in front of buildings and homes all around town about "James Warren." I thought, wow, they really go out of their way here to welcome newcomers!

Well, they're not quite so extravagant as all that, but Ithaca is certainly the friendliest of towns, and I'm excited to be able to perform for some locals tonight since so much of my time is spent performing in other cities and states. And it's always so much fun to do "mingling magic," the sleight-of-hand magic that happens right in front of your face, which makes it that much more amazing. And I love the personal interaction with the people.

It's also fun because it is so spontaneous, and anything can happen: like the time I spilled wine on Michelle Pfeiffer's dress. Yep, you read that right -- Michelle Pfeiffer. It happened at a high-end restaurant in downtown Los Angeles where I was performing. Michelle and Robert Redford were filming a movie nearby and she came in for dinner with 8 or 9 crew members.

I did a trick that involved a card magically changing into another card, and I placed the card face down on the table so no one could see its identity. The moment I turned away someone reached out to grab the card. I didn't want it exposed prematurely to spoil the surprise, so I lunged for their arm -- and in the process knocked over Michelle's wine glass.

As the liquid spilled over the edge of the table onto her dress her entire entourage at the table became deathly silent. I held my breath as Michelle looked down at her dress. Then she looked up at the crew, shrugged, and said, "It's wardrobe."

Everyone broke into laughter at the wardrobe mistress' expense, and I could rush to the trick's climax in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Michelle Pfeiffer is a doll.

Stage shows are by-and-large rote matters; but mingling magic always yields anecdotes worth remembering!

No comments:

Post a Comment